Monday, December 31, 2007

You Probably Think This Song is About You

You know how every once in a while you have a moment that reminds you of Mom? Someone says something, makes a face, or sings a song that makes you say "My Mom always did that!" Well yesterday I had one of those moments. We were at church listening to a missionary farewell. The kid is a little "off" and his whole talk was about his vanity and how serving a mission would give others in the world a chance to know him (I know, I said he was off). Anyway, he referenced Carly Simon's song "You're So Vain" saying that although it was written before his birth he knew "this song was about him". I am sure that I am no different than all of you and had Mom sing this song to me on several occasions growing up. I wasn't quite sure what it meant for the longest time, but as I got older I understood just enough to find it funny (because it was the farthest from the truth:)).
Just thought I would add another Momism to the "never say can't" and various sundry quotes. Hopefully it will bring back your own "you're so vain" memories.
I case you've never heard the song, here is a sing along link for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUF9G4N-tE&feature=related

2 comments:

Greg said...

Nice trip down memory lane - though I prefer "You made me love you."

maines said...

What a re-re that guy must have been! Who says over the pulpit that the song "you're so vain" is about them. That guy obviously doesn't quite grasp the concept of the song. As for favorite mom songs, mine would have to be, "I didn't know the gun was loaded". And you know just the voice to sing it in!