Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Great Divorce and Other Sundries: Update from the early AM shift

With all of these clever posts, I must admit I am a bit intimidated (being a just-the-facts kind of update guy). I have abandoned the night shift for the early AM shift (7-10), and since it is a bit unseemly to be kacked out on the bed chair while dietary is taking the lunch order, I have had to come up with new activities. We still get the Dr. visits (generally around 7:30-8) - btw Mom's creatinine levels were at 1.1, red blood had dipped enough that she is getting two units today, platelets held at 17, and the bad white cells are 0 (I can't help myself). We have also taken up reading C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce and shuffling along bracingly chilly walks to the duck pond. We would read Jane Eyre, except for Shalaine's threats to rip out my tongue if I read Jane Eyre to mom without her (who needs that low-brow fiction anyhow).

Yesterday, we talked with Dr. Luke (a little younger and more cherubic than you thought he looked, huh!) about bone marrow transplants and donation. One interesting fact is that if you are white and Christian you have a much higher likelihood of finding a match in a national search. Its not because we are more genetically disposed to be have a match, it is because white Christians in greater proportion get screened and make themselves available to be donors (though China is catching up since they are starting to require that people are screened and make themselves available for donation - I suppose we really shouldn't call it "donation" for the Chinese). The process for being screened is as simple as taking a blood test. The process for donation is very similar to giving blood over a three day period (no, they don't need to bore into your bones and suck the marrow out). For more information check out http://www.marrow.org/.

6 comments:

maines said...

Ding, dong, the white blood cells are dead...hooray! That is HUGE news! And the creatinine levels are great too. Also, about the donations and testing, should we all go get tested to see if we are matches? Being a white christian and all, I guess I better. It's also good to know that the chances of mom being half jewish or part hindu after this are slim. However, I guess we should prepare for possible Buddah worship in her future.

loubige said...

I am SO EXCITED! White blood cells are a big FAT ZERO!!!! Hooray! I must celebrate...hmmm....of course, I will buy dinner! :-)

P.S. yes, would like to know about testing b/c if siblings don't match I want to get tested for sure...dad please let us know what we need to do.

loubige said...

P.P.S. Does this mean I need to read The Great Divorce for the "GreSha" book club? Please people...I'm just barely almost half way through Gone with the Wind! (Although, I do have a copy of The Great Divorce sitting in my night stand WAITING to be read for hmmmmm the past 3 years.....I actually think it is a copy of moms that she gave me!) I will add it to the reading list, AGAIN! Maybe this time I will get to it b/c I really do want to read it.

Jen said...

Maines,

I think you are forgetting the family tree in the book that Mom gave us "The Story of my Life", on that fateful Christmas Eve where we all found out that there is indeed African-American blood running through the Summerhays veins.
In all seriousness, I have been tested and am in the national registry. I have been since just after high school.

Dro said...

"low brow fiction" come on now! Bronte is at her best with this classic novel. How many of us truly have a "something" that is insane (to the outside world) in our lives keeping us from true happiness.

For Rochester, it happened to be a person. For us, it is most likely a vice stuck in our "attic." May we also rid ourselves of this "insanity" and appreciate more the loved ones in our life.

"low brow fiction" I think not!!!!

maines said...

Jon, I love your insight. You MUST become a member of the shasha book club. So far the only thing we've picked up is mockery from your wife. I'd also like to discuss poor undervalued Grace Poole. Does all the work and gets all the blame. Mr. Rochester is a weenie.