Monday, December 24, 2007

cancer, why do you hurt so good

In the October general conference Elder Snow told of how his mother had recently died of cancer. He said in his address that he came to learn that cancer is a disease of love- allowing people to come together, fences to be mended, and greater bonds among family members to occur.
Since mom has been diagnosed with leukemia, I too have come to feel grateful for cancer. Now, before you throw rocks at me, hear me out, and let me list the top ten reasons why I love cancer:

1. The one on one time that I have spend with my mom in the hospital. How precious it is to have her all to myself to talk, laugh, cry, and discuss the follies of a certain Mr. Rochester.
2. Greg and Becky leaving paradise to come stay amongst the wreckage
3. Learning to live in the present. All those Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even weekend plans you spent so much time on, can be changed in an instant.
4. Learning that that's ok.
5. Cort and Axel getting their own little father son time together.
6. Seeing a strength in my dad I never knew he had.
7. Seeing a vulnerability in my dad I never knew he had.
8. Hearing him call my mom "cupcake" when she was in la-la land and realizing just how much he loves her.
9. Family coming together for a common purpose.
10. The great buns I'm getting for taking the stairs up to her hospital room.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you Shalaine, I really needed to read that today. Sometimes it's easy to focus on all the sacrifices you are making and lose sight of the blessings you are recieving. I know when this all came down in the begining I prayed that I'd give anything to keep Mom with us...I think the Lord is testing me on that one! I also need to start taking the stairs.

maines said...

Stairs are great. Much faster than that ghetto elevator. I swear it's going to break and I'm going to go plummeting down to the freezer box basement every time I'm on it! I give that elevator only 1 star, if that. And you can always convince yourself that the stairs are exercise on those days when you don't get anything else done (which seem to be quite common these days!).

DMAC said...

Well I have to agree with you Shalaine, I have to say I can speak from experience that being diagnosed with Leukemia (CML) was one of the GREATEST blessings and experiences in my life. It has helped me to rely completely on the Savior's tender mercies (according to Elder Bednar). Nonetheless, the Lord has promised me that if I will live & keep all the covenants I have made in His most loving sacred home, I will not be called home until my mortal mission is complete; hence, I plead with Our Heavenly Father that I do not waste whatever time I am given and become committed to knowing more about the Gospel through studying the BEST books, and striving to work in whatever capacity given me to move forward the THREE fold Mission of the Lord. So, don't expect rockst to be thrown at you by this brother:-)