Thursday, December 27, 2007

Blood--Thicker than Water

Oh the nerves...will I be funny enough? will I be witty enough? is there a spell check on this thing? Well here it goes.

Greg passed the baton to me this morning and we spent most of the day waiting for the 2 units of blood to come. Mom did manage a shower but felt pretty weak (due to needing blood) so she spent the rest of the day in bed. As we were watching the clock wondering how late she was going to have to stay up tonight (blood takes about 3-4 hours each bag to go in) I see Mom in a green and black flannel walking in the door. I did a double take and realized that it was not Mom but Uncle Dale coming in for a visit (the Aunt Eileen on his arm should have been the dead give away). They had a great visit and brought along some great gifts to spur Mom on--a book about Courage and a DVD with all the Cowardly Lion excerpts from the Wizard of Oz (OCD warning, all who visit may be subject to this DVD playing on a loop). We talked about the bone marrow transplant and Dale is ready and rearing to go, despite a propensity to faint at the sight of his own blood. We will see if he ends up being a match.





The bag of blood finally came at 4:30 so she has to at least 10pm until it's done. None the less she was glad to see it and welcomed it's red goodness into her PIC line. This should give her some strength back so she can run laps around the atrium once again.




Speaking of which, I highly recommend the stairs to all who come and visit. It is 10 times faster than the rickety elevators and there is less of a chance of a "Tower of Terror" like plunge to the basement. Thanks for tipping me off to it Shalaine!

2 comments:

loubige said...

I often wonder if I will make it alive out of those things...stairs here I come.

Greg said...

Nice blood love picture. I agree about the elevator everytime you reach your floor of choice there is the moment of truth - either the doors could open or you could plummet to your death. I'll tke the stairs!