Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Grandma Dreisbach, what ugly chairs you have!"

"All the better for you to wait for hours in."
Mom and I went to see Dr. D's crib today. I wish I had my camera. Though it won't be on MTV anytime soon, if there was some network for hip geriatrics, it would definately be featured. It was every Grandma's dream. Big, tall backed, green and purple floral chairs everywhere with a few plain sage ones thrown in to stimulate the eye. There was no TV or big assortment of magazines, but there was a huge vase full of nasty hard candies and a plate of stale cookies. And of course the delightful smell of moth balls filled the nostril. All they needed was some blue and white m&m's and some freezer burned ice cream, and I think we all would have felt right at home.
Apparently, our little baldy is a rock star at Dr. D's. There were whiney people all around us that had been waiting for over an hour. They looked like they were starting to decay (and just between us, smelled a little like it too). But no such treatment for mamacita. They took her right away, pricked her pointer finger, and were back in under 10 minutes with the results. All good news- whiteys at 1.9 and platelets above 40. And bonus... the huge bump on her head that she acquired from an unfortunate run-in with a table leg isn't a hematoma after all. Just a little bruise and nothing to worry about. So tonight she can sleep soundly without picturing blood seeping in between the cracks in her brain.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I'm wondering how she had an unfortunate accident with a table leg to her head. Hmmmmmmm........I suppose that means she was crawling around on the ground for something. What was the treasure she was in search of?

maines said...

She was setting up a card table (like the ones that were in her hospital room) to play monopoly with the slick dog and the leg came down on her head. Not really sure about the logistics of the whole thing. But, you know mom. She's capable of extraordinary things. Sadly, the only treasure was a little metal shoe.

Dro said...

I've always found that no matter how many times I play Monopoly that someone is always the "little metal shoe." I know I always choose the dog (not sure why) but someone inevitable chooses the shoe as well....so while seemingly she got hurt for no good reason, I believe that the table leg kicking her in the head was for a great cause.

Well done Mom. I'm sure you would've done the same for the tiny metal dog.

Dro said...

Maines, I just read the Sha-Sha book club post on the right-hand side of the blog.

That was very funny. I must admit I was ROFLing even in the presence of my students.

maines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maines said...

I'm glad I could make the man who makes us all LOL ROFL. It almost makes it worth all the mocking.