Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Miracle of Forgiveness

If I had my wits about me, I would ask Shalaine or Jon to write this posting for me. I feel very impressed to write the feelings that have been on my heart for a while now and ask that you indulge my weakness in writing. I also want to add a disclaimer that this is directed at no one, or no incident, just my own thoughts and feelings.
The past year has been difficult for all of us. Some of our trials have been known to all: trying to sell a house, moving to a new city, frequent hospital visits, babies being born (a wonderful occurrence, but no walk in the park), new jobs started, jobs lost, working without pay, Leukemia….the list goes on. I also know that in every family, within every person, there are struggles that no one else knows about and they are many and varied. In the course of all this we interact with each other as a family, many positive interactions, but some negative. Our own personal struggles sometimes come out as rudeness or insensitivity towards others. Although we apologize we don’t really say “I’m sorry I said that, I’m really tired because I’ve been up with a screaming baby all night”. I know, sounds like an excuse, but letting our daily occurrences affect our interactions with others is human nature just the same. The point I’m really trying to make is that we all need each other now more than ever. The Lord gives us challenges to pull us together, to help us love one another more…it is Satan that tries to turn these situations into opportunities to pull us apart and hold grudges towards one another.
In this new year I want to personally ask forgiveness from any of you that I have offended or hurt (and I know there are many). I want to build my relationships with all of you. I don’t want Max to ask me in a few years “Why don’t we see those cousins?” What would I tell him? “Because your mother offended them a long time ago and can hold a grudge like no one else”. I need the love and support of everyone in this family and prayerfully ask that we all forgive each other of our weaknesses and help one another work towards the celestial kingdom. Like it or not, we are stuck together for eternity.

Note to Lurkers: Although this was targeted towards the Hendrickson clan, I also apologize for any of you that I've hurt or offended as well.

5 comments:

Cort said...

Thanks for your posting Stephanie. Forgiveness is something I'm sure all of us could do a better job of, and I think you put it perfectly. Some people say "Pimpin' ain't easy." But I say "Forgiveness ain't easy." Maybe sometimes we take life a little too seriously and these days who needs that. Anyway, I forgive you for your hatred of Trivial Pursuit and sports.

Anonymous said...

You took the words right out of my keyboard. I too seek forgiveness on a moment by moment basis. But it takes a bigger and better keyboard to spell it all out the way you did. Thanks for doing it for me too. Ditto to it all. I love you.
Mom

Dro said...

Steph, nice post.

You have never offended me as a person but you have offended me as an English teacher. Please (for the love of Scrabble), change the spelling of "miracle." If you do that....I forgive you. :)

Stephanie said...

Why oh why doesn't this thing spell check the titles?

Becky said...

Perfect, Steph. Exxcept fur the spppelling, af curse, according to Jon.