Monday, January 14, 2008

All tots go to heaven

While Mom's day at the City of Hope was filled with just that, the residents of Cathedral City woke up this morning to true tragedy and heartbreak. At five this morning, Sonic Burger caught fire and was burnt to the ground. As Stephanie runs to the bathroom to wipe away her fast falling tears, let us all take a moment to remember and appreciate the beauty that was Sonic.
My mind is flooded with sweet memories as I look back on all the wonderful time spent there: the day it opened and we drove all the way out there only to be told it wasn't opening for two more days, when we went back in two more days and it was still closed as a bunch of highschool dropouts in yellow shirts gathered around for their 85th day of training, the day we finally did get in and waited over an hour for a drive-in spot, the heavyset mexican girl that rollerskated into our front bumper carrying our tray of food, the hours I spent in the bathroom later that night as a result of said tray of food. Though the Sonic may no longer remain, these are moments that will forever be burnt in my colon.

Here is what some of the residents of Cathedral City had to say about their beloved restaurant:

"I'm very upset and sad." -General Manager, Don Fredrickson
"This was, no pun intended, their bread and butter." -City Councilman, Paul Merchand
"This is one of the best restaurants they built here, me and my friend Mike would come to get the coney dogs." -Cathedral City resident, Franky Bonilla
"The food sucked! I wouldn't be surprised if someone burnt it down to save others from grief." Email commentator, Sportinwoody

Yes, we will all remember and revere our dear Sonic. Their greasy hamburgers, their gelatinous gravy dipping sauce, and their laxative chilli fries will always hold a special place in my heart and thighs. Though we want to celebrate mom's good day at the City of Hope, January 14th, for myself and the other residents of the Coachella Valley, will forever be peppered with grief and sadness. And when all is said and done, when the grills have cooled and Sonic is but a distant dream, let us still remember the true heroes of the day- the tots.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am mortified! Not only did I have to wipe away tears, but vomit as well...that is how upset I am. Who could do such a thing? How could such a tragedy occur? Who would want to harm the tots? I think everyone should drive with their headlights on today in memorium...I know I will be!

maines said...

I know. I truly is tragedy. Suprisingly, despite Sportinwoody's less than stellar comments, they don't suspect any foul play. They believe it was caused by either an electrical glich, or a bin of greasy rags stored in the restaurant. Judging from the food, I'd go with the greasy rags. Or was that greasy hamburgers? Either way, Cort will not be saying, "I could go for a burger" anytime soon.

Dro said...

I went to that Sonic one time. Sorry to burst your bubbles but I concur with "sportinwoody" both with his comment and his name.

I was in line for 25 minutes and there were only 4 cars in front of me..then I got the food and it was nasty.

Instead of "driving with our headlights on in memorium," how bout we instead do what "sportinwoody" would do.....

maines said...

Either way. Both require the absence of a critical piece of clothing.

Dro said...

Now THAT was funny.

loubige said...

I am sorry for your loss. I was never blessed enough to visit the Sonic of Coachella Valley, I can only cling to the memory of visiting it once in Gilbert, AZ with my sister and that was only for the AMAZING drink special they do during "happy hour." :-) I can imagine your pain for I remember what a fantastic deal that was!

Jen said...

THAT was funny, Maines. I had to dissect Jon's first comment to get the humor, but once caught....very enjoyable. Did you drive by the burnt remains of the Sonic and leave your cranium in the gutter? :)