Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Life in the ER

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of our brave little Kate in the Emergency Room last night. On Saturday she was at a party where they have blow up slides, bounce houses, etc.... she got a friction burn on her elbow at the party. I really didn't think too much about it. By Monday she was complaining of soreness so Jeff got out the trusty neosporin (it is supposed to cure everything isn't it?) and applied a bandaid. Yesterday morning it looked swollen and red and we knew we needed to watch it. By last night it was very swollen, red, irritated and had grown significantly. I took her to the urgent care (which I never do, but with all of the MRSA scare I thought I had better). The urgent care doctor took a look at it and noticed that it had started to streak up the inside of her arm to her armpit, he quickly referred us to Saddleback Memorial Emergency Room in San Clemente. Because of the streaking up her arm he felt like we should have it cultured and start iv antibiotics. There was no wait in the ER and we were in & out in a few hours. Doctor in ER diagnosed her with "Cellulitis" (The shock of the name has you immediately thinking of your own thighs doesn't it? And I am sorry to report that form of cellulitis cannot be treated by antibiotics) probably caused by a staph or other infection whose Latin name I can't remember.
So all is well, she is on two oral antibiotics for 10 days. She was so brave , did not even cry when blood was drawn and IV was placed and even earned a Webkin for her lack of drama. She is thinking this is the best as it includes time off from school :)

7 comments:

loubige said...

DUDE! I can't believe that, I bet that's why she was a little feverish Sunday after church. Good thing you guys took her in, you must have had a late night last night, hopefully you and she got some rest today.

Dro said...

Please don't let Curran know about the webkins or else he will intentionally burn himself, hook some IVs into his arm, and say "If Kate gets a webkins, so do I."

On a more serious note, it's never a fun thing to be rushing your child to the ER. A few years ago, Curran swallowed a bunch of medicine that he thought was candy and off to the ER we went, not knowing fully the ramifications.

I can only imagine you felt the same way. Glad she's doing well!

maines said...

CRAZY!!!! These are the things that give me major anxiety as a mother. I'm so glad that she is ok, how scary! Good quick thinking and attentiveness, mom! Classic about Jeff with the neosporin and band-aid. Totally reminds me of a conversation we had on the black monster about how when we hurt ourselves as kids our parents were like "oh, you're fine, it's only a minor break" and LouAnn's parents took her to the ER. So glad you chose the ER route on this one! Thank heavens for "over-reacting". And on a side note, bummer about the IV not curing my cellulitis...but maybe I'll take myself over to urgent care just in case.

maines said...

p.s. Is that a sleeping bag? Or some kind of puffy quilted plastic rubber-looking blanket?

Jen said...

That is her new jacket with puffy hearts on it and fur in the inside. The only things that jacket lacks are sparkles, dolphins, and unicorns! Oh to be six again :)

maines said...

You forgot doggies.

Stephanie said...

I guess everyone is jealous of Nana getting so much hospital time! I'm proud of how brave Kate is...one of the worst parts of child labor was putting the IV in, it hurts!!!! A true example of Hendrickson's never saying can't.
I also have to say that I was dying laughing that Curran took a bunch of medicine because it looked like candy (not the ODing part, the candy part)that kid loves candy more than anyone I know.