Sunday, May 4, 2008

THANKS FOR THE BLOOD!


We want to thank all of our friends and family from South Orange County who generously gave of their blood for Sharon. We have had to use a great deal of both blood and platelets and so really appreciate getting our account back towards even. They tell us that there is such a shortage of these blood products that they have had to significantly alter when they give them which puts patients at some additional risk. So don't hold back, take a few minutes and give someone a little bit of yourself at your local blood bank. We continue to make slow but steady progress. This week we only required blood and platelets once. Sharon's white count held throughout the week above 3.o. We get in a good walk each day and this weekend have been getting out twice. Our only downer is that she continues to have nightly reflux which causes her a lot of discomfort and costs precious hours of sleep. I guess we certainly could have much greater problems and should be ecstatic with where we're at, but that I'm afraid is not our mindset. We always want to be doing more. Perhaps one of the lessons we're supposed to be learning is Patience.

I really appreciate the fresh new posts keep them coming. I don't like feeling like a one man band. It would be nice to see a few more comments as well just so I know I'm not writing to myself.

Today marks the 60th day of our new life and we continue to "MOVE FORWARD WITH FAITH."


The picture is Sharon in front of our home in Upland, 1974-76.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I definitely need to give blood. I guess they have changed a lot of the restrictions for giving blood, so I'm sure I'm back in the "giving" category. Glad the walks have been bumped up to 2! Every baby step counts.

maines said...

This really makes me want to get out and give some blood. So glad to see you are inching your way along. However slow, it's still in the forward direction!

slickman said...

Mom I love you and am so glad you are doing well

Jen said...

So good to see Mom out and around on "field trips" down memory lane. I loved the picture of her in front of first home in Pasadena! Is there really an "account" that she draws from when needing blood?

Pops said...

Not really an account, but the blood drive in Orange County was blood given to City of Hope in her name. If you give blood at City of Hope you can specifically designate it for her.

Cort said...

I gave plasma twice a week in college so I could maintain my "lifestyle." I still have the scar to prove it. Does that count? I hear they use it for make-up and toothpaste, which also helps Sharon's quality of life, so I feel like I'm owed some thanks.

loubige said...

I am looking forward to the next house shot! I love the "field trip" pictures as well. Mom you are looking good, we pray that you get stronger everyday!
Love you!
P.S. Cort, that was funny.

Anonymous said...

Sharon Blaine and Family,
Thank you so much for sharing your family blog with us. I really feel we are family,we have had so many memories over the years.
We pray you continue to progress every day and remember,"ROME wasn't made in a day" and patience is a virture. We send our love,
John Peters sFamily

Greg said...

ah, the memories of Upland. Nice to see the old house and glad that you are getting out and about. Thank you for your efforts in posting. It really helps us that are so far away stay close.

Aloha!