Friday, February 8, 2008

Oh somebody's had a birthday!

Our dear little baldy here.
Kind Father in Heaven bless her
Throughout the coming year!

For those of you who don't know, this is the song we sing on birthdays in order to weed out potential intruders, embarass visitors and remind new in-laws that they aren't part of the family just yet. This is how it works: we all gather around and announce that it's time to sing "Happy Birthday". A family member brings out a big cake (or if Dad was in charge of dessert, about 10 different kinds of pie) and carries it over to the lucky birthday guy or gal surrounded by a mountain of presents. Someone gives the resting tone and then, as any normal person would do, the visitor or new family member dives with confidence head first into the good ole traditional birthday jingle. After all, they know this song. This is their chance to shine. Their opportunity to show that they belong. They only get about half way into the word "birthday", however, before they stop cold and realize with horror they are singing the wrong song. Meanwhile, we are all singing the little preface above in perfect pitch and unity. The new person than goes and hides red faced in the corner while we point and laugh with mouths full of pie. It's a beautiful thing.
Unfortunately, this year for mom's birthday, we didn't have any newcomers. We did, however, have lots o picture taking. Here's a little slideshow of some of my favorites from the evening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the photo bucket and thanks so much for setting it up. However you left out the most embarrassing part = at my 16th birthday party in front of all my friends my Nana made me sing the after refrain. "Many thanks to you, many thanks to you, many thanks to all . . . many thanks to you." I was shamed to the point that we haven't had to sing it since. Maybe I should revive it for each of the grand kids 16th. Oh, such a good idea!

maines said...

I guess for all the shame that we give to others when they don't know the first part, we deserve a little ourselves. Although I would DIE if I was made to sing a solo in front of anyone. Actually, they would die if they were made to hear me sing a solo! No one should be subjected to that.

Nana said...

I can't stop watching the bucket. I could stare at you all, all day. I'm so glad to be able to have the internet in my room at the City of Hope. I can stare all I want!