Monday, February 9, 2009

MY HERO

Posted below is Jeff's talk at Ricky's funeral. Once again thank you for all of your cards and letters. We really appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this time.

MY HERO


As Ricky’s eldest sibling and oldest brother I have a unique perspective on his life. Being 16 years his elder I have distinct memories of his birth and early years of life in addition to his young adulthood.

With being his eldest brother comes the unique responsibility to set a good example and to incessantly tease him. This was not only my responsibility but also an oldest brothers right. I had all kinds of fun with my brother thru the years. I’ll share just a couple of my favorites.

When Ricky was young and just learning how to talk he was outfitted with a “valve” for his tracheotomy. For those who are unfamiliar, the tracheotomy, or trach for short, is a hole in the neck that allowed my brother to breath more effectively. The trach is actually set below the vocal cords so in order to speak he would have to cover the trach with his finger or a “valve” is secured on top of the trach which allows air to come in but not out. Therefore, when he would exhale the air would be forced past his trach, past his vocal chords and out his mouth…so he could speak.

Now this valve was not only a blessing for Ricky so he could speak but a blessing for his siblings as well…since its simple removal “turned him off”. My brothers and I would also play an entertaining game with Ricky and his “valve”. We would make him laugh. While this sounds harmless enough, the game was to see how violent the laugh would be. The more violent the laughs the greater the initial exhale. This would force a large amount of air, quickly, past the “valve” causing it to pop off due to the pressure. The game of course was to see how far the valve would actually fly.

As Ricky got older, he was outfitted with an electric wheelchair…which all who knew him knew he “drove” way to fast. That wheelchair never met a wall or a door jam that it didn’t like. This electric chair gave my brother independence…it gave me, a wealth of opportunities to have “fun” with my brother. I loved switching the speed from the picture of the turtle to the rabbit when he wasn’t looking. I suspect from the look on my brothers face when he moved the joystick that this was not just exciting for me.

Additionally, whenever I would sit next to him I would casually switch the chair to the “on” position without him noticing…wait for a bit…and then move the joystick when he wasn’t looking. Again, this produced the look of excitement on both our faces…and maybe a few excited words from my brother.

I could go on and on sharing stories about the great fun we had…

My fondest memories of my brother though are founded in the person that he is. You see, my brother never viewed himself as having physical handicaps. Not once, in twenty four (24) years, did he vocalize to me a negative comment about his physical limitations. He was confident in who he was, a son of God…his Eternal Father. He knew he was special and that he could have a positive effect on people.

This knowledge moved him forward. It inspired him to help others. He loved to serve in the church and always magnified his callings. Receiving a calling and serving others in the church was the highlight of his life…he loved every opportunity to serve.

A favorite parable of mine, taught by The Savior at the end of His mortal ministry, has always reminded me of my brother and the service he gave. The Savior taught the value of service to our fellowmen when he said to the righteous:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Ricky’s life has been and will continue to be a driving force for good within me. He is the bravest person I have ever known. He inspires me and always has…he is my hero.

No comments: